Welcome to our review of the 5 best tactical pens for 2018. We hope you’ll find the information presented below to be helpful in deciding which tactical pen will best suit your needs going forward.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Tactical Pen?
- 2 How Should I Use a Tactical Pen?
- 3 2018's Best Tactical Pen Comparison Chart
- 4 Best Tactical Pen for the Money
- 5 Best High-End Model
- 6 Bottom Line
What is a Tactical Pen?
The next time you’re going out alone at night you may want to ask if you can borrow a pen from your friend. A tactical pen that is. This type of discreet self-defense pen looks harmless enough until someone decides to mess with you. That’s when their true value is revealed and they become a carefully considered means of self-defense that, in the hands of someone with even minimal training, can ward off an attack or incapacitate a would-be assailant.
Tactical pens have been around for a number of years but have really come into their own as of late. Refinements in materials, functionality and new, more comprehensive training methods have led to a surge in popularity and many refinements in how the device can be effectively deployed.
How Should I Use a Tactical Pen?
Many people have questions about how to use a tactical pen. There are a number of ways including:
- Like a sword – Sure it’s not Hattori Hanso steel but, should your tactical pen have a cutting edge it can be deployed very effectively in a sword like manner. The key is to maintain a good grip, use powerful but controlled sweeping motions and follow through.
- Like a knife – With this technique, you’ll need to be aggressive and accurate and you can use either an underhand or overhand motion. Again, solid contact should produce a wound sufficient to give your assailant pause and give you a chance to get away.
Be mindful that not all tactical pens (including the ones we’ll be reviewing here) come with a blade component so if that’s important to you make sure you find one that specifically says it’s included.
Now that you have a little better understanding of tactical pens and their uses let’s get right into our tactical pen reviews.
2018's Best Tactical Pen Comparison Chart
[wpsm_comparison_table id=”11″ class=””]
UZI UZI-TACPEN2-BK Aircraft Aluminum Defender Tactical Pen with Glassbreaker
- Fashioned from aircraft grade aluminum.
- Durable carbide tip glass breaker to aid emergency escapes.
- Accepts Fischer as well as Standard refills.
- Often copied so avoid if you see “made in China”.
- Overall length: 6.6 inches.
- .9 inches thick.
- Ballpoint pen that uses black ink.
- Weighs in at a svelte 2.1 ounces
The UZI UZI-TACPEN2-BK Tactical Pen is fashioned from aircraft grade aluminum and is both stylish and incredibly durable. The pen includes a carbide-tipped glass breaker on the end of the pen shaft which you use when, well, whenever you may need to break glass either for defense or escape.
This is lightweight, easy to deploy, comfortable to hold writing/defense instrument that you can use to compose poetry before changing gears to fend off creeps or escaping through the window should you be in an auto accident.
If you keep up on the news you know that there have been a slew of traffic accidents in recent years involving vans and buses where people were trapped inside following an accident and perished because they couldn’t get out as the vehicle was engulfed in flames. That won’t happen with the carbide-strong glass breaker on your UZI UZI-TACPEN2-BK Tactical Pen.
But the TACPEN2 is more than just a serious piece of survival kit. It’s also a first class writing instrument because UZI understands you may never actually need to use the tactical components of the pen. It looks great, is well balanced and comfortable as all get-out to write with.
- Uzi Tactical Glass Breaker Pens are refillable with standard and fisher space pen refills. They come standard as a real ballpoint pen with an ultra-durable carbide glass breaker tip
- Our tactical glass breaker pen provides a smooth writing experience, with a ballpoint tip on one end and a carbide tip glass breaker on the other end this ballpoint pen becomes a tactical and strategic tool in-case of emergency or self-defense.
- our pen is a real ballpoint tactical pen, that fits perfect in a briefcase, teachers desk, office. Great for creative writers and business executives. this carbide tip glass breaker tactical pen is easy to use in case of emergency
Gerber 31-001880 Impromptu Tactical Pen
- Machined steel body and stainless steel clip.
- All weather “Rite in the Rain” cartridge means you can use the pen in all weather conditions.
- Tempered steel glass-breaker tip gets you out of tight spots in a hurry.
- Ball point pen component is easily deployed and uber-reliable.
- Designed and manufactured in the USA
- 5 ½” in length by ½” thick.
- Ballpoint pen component uses black ink.
- A comfortable 4 ounces in weight.
The Impromptu Tactical Pen was developed by Gerber in concert with law enforcement and provides you a reliable, effective means of neutralizing threats before they become more than that. Fabricated from tough as nails machined steel and featuring one of the most effective glass-breakers you’ll find on any tactical pen the Impromptu is more than just a writing instrument with an attitude, it’s a first class survival pen you carry in your shirt pocket or purse.
Gerber went out of their way to seek the advice of law enforcement pros during the design and testing of this device and it shows. The ease with which you’re able to transition from writing to defense is a marvelous thing and the Impromptu won’t ever let you down on either front.
The Impromptu is a hefty instrument but it fits comfortably in your pocket and, just as important, comfortably in your hand when you need it in an emergency. The tiny bit of extra bulk allows you to achieve a firmer grip so the pen won’t slip out of your hand when you need it most.
- Ruggid and reliable design in all our products
- Can be used in various military, hunting, survival, tactical, industrial and outdor situations
- All producdts are field tested
Smith & Wesson Military & Police SWPENMPBK Tactical Pen
- Made from high-quality aircraft grade aluminum.
- Screw on/off cap.
- Lanyard hole and pocket clip.
- Double threat profile when cap removed.
- Black ballpoint ink cartridge.
- The overall length of 6.1”, .8” in diameter.
- A very tidy 1.4 oz weight.
With Uzi having entered the tactical pen market it was probably just a matter of time before another gun manufacturer tossed their hat into the ring. Smith and Wesson do the honors here producing an aggressive looking tactical pen that, once the screw-on cap is removed, leaves little doubt about its defensive abilities.
Like other high-quality tactical pens, this one is machined from aircraft-grade aluminum. Yet unlike the 2 pens, we’ve reviewed so far this one can double as a formidable kubaton stick that will take down an assailant with a well-placed jab or two.
The clip is designed to fulfill the role of a lanyard to which you can attach keys and it’s said (though we have to admit we didn’t try this) that the stylus end can be used to navigate a touch screen mobile device. What you’re paying for here is not a top-of-the-line writing instrument what you’re paying for is an effective, discreet tactical pen that will have would be assailants quickly rethinking their strategy. Attractively priced as well.
- DIMENSIONS: 6.1 inch (15.5 cm) overall length and a weight of 1.4 ounces
- DURABLE: Pen is made of reliable T6061 Aircraft Aluminum
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient pocket clip and pull-off top making it ideal for everyday carry
Schrade SCPENBK Tactical Pen
- Machined black aluminum.
- Pocket clip on the removable pen cap.
- Black ballpoint Schmidt P900M ink cartridge.
- Matt black finish.
- Overall length of 5 ¾”.
- Screw off/on cap.
Schrade hit all the right design buttons with the SCPENBK Tactical Pen as you would expect them to. The ultra-streamlined profile of this instrument makes it as attractive a writing implement as it is a tactical device. There is no compromising in the quality of the writing with the Schrade as there sometimes is with other tactical pens.
They’ve poured just as much effort and expertise into the “pen” as they have into the “tactical” and the results are there for all to see.
The grip of the SCPENBK is carved aluminum which adds to the gothic quality of the pen. It would look right at home being wielded by an android in a sci-fi movie, it has that degree of both style and dread.
It’s a sleek, dependable, rock-solid creative/defensive instrument that will look as impressive in the boardroom as it does, intimidating to a would-be assailant.
That means this is in many ways the perfect tactical pen because it hides effortlessly in plain sight. After all, as good as the other pens reviewed here some are nonetheless branded with the names of recognizable arms manufacturers, which may raise more than a few eyebrows in the conference room.
- DIMENSIONS: 5.7 inch (14.5 cm) overall length and a weight of 1.4 ounces
- DURABLE: Pen is made of reliable CNC Machined 6061 T6 Aluminum
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient pocket clip and screw-off top making it ideal for everyday carry
BOKER PLUS Carbon Tactical Pen
- Ultra-comfortable grip for writing or fighting.
- The aluminum end cap is titanium coated.
- Uses Fisher pen cartridges.
- Body of durable anodized aluminum.
- 5 inches in length, 1 inch circumference.
- Black ink ballpoint pen.
- Weighs a mere 2.9 oz.
- Comes with limited lifetime warranty.
The Boker Plus Carbon Tactical Pen carves out a space for itself in the tactical pen market by taking a nontraditional approach to pen design that is physically comfortable and visually intimidating. The pen features pump action which means you can write with it upside down in zero Gs if you find yourself in such a situation.
And, as you might imagine with such a device it’s also perfectly balanced. While this pen wasn’t designed to do mortal harm to would-be assailants it certainly could if used by an individual trained in self-defense techniques.
Boker makes one not-so-subtle nod to the tactical pen use angle of their product by incorporating a bolt action style click mechanism to extend the tip. It may seem like kind of a high school design class gimmick but for some reason, it actually works. Perhaps because of the heft of the instrument.
All in all the Boker Plus Carbon Tactical Pen should fulfill whatever need you have for a versatile writing instrument while at the same time provide you with a rock-solid implement with which to defend yourself should you need to.
If you’re searching for a tactical pen that’s as practical as it is tactical the Boker Plus Carbon Tactical Pen is the one for you. All that and reasonably priced to boot.
Best Tactical Pen for the Money
UZI UZI-TACPEN2-BK Aircraft Aluminum Tactical Pen with Glassbreaker
We sang the praises of this amazing little device earlier and we’re bringing it back now for another bow as our “Best Tactical Pen for the Money” winner. At less than $20 the TACPEN2-BK is as close to a must-have piece of urban kit as you’ll find anywhere.
It’s sleek and slick, functional and fun and may actually save your life if you find yourself trapped in a car someday. If on the other hand, you’re of a mind to write the great contemporary novel of our time the TACPEN2-BK will deliver on that front as well because it’s so well designed and balanced that you’ll never have to strain to hold it over long periods.
If you’re looking for a great deal on an incredibly well designed and built tactical pen look no further than the UZI-TACPEN2-BK. The best pen for self-defense on the market. – Buy It
Best High-End Model
BOKER PLUS Carbon Tactical Pen
From its comfortable grip to its Micarta body and titanium-coated end cap the Boker Plus is one fine piece of writing equipment. It also happens to double just fine as a first class, a small scale tactical device with a robust grip that won’t let you down when your well-being is on the line.
Its distinctive design sets it apart from the herd yet nothing is compromised in this quest for design permanence.
At the end of the day, the Boker Plus Carbon Tactical Pen with its pump action clicker and dazzling exterior design scheme is a truly unique writing/self-defense appliance that everyone from high-end pen lovers to law enforcement officers to survivalists will appreciate. – Buy It
We hope you enjoyed these tactical defense pen reviews. Whether you work in an area that’s not as safe as you’d like it to be or you just have a long walk at the end of every day across the parking lot to your car you’ll find these discreet, compact devices will answer the call should you find yourself in a dangerous situation.
When you consider how inexpensive they generally are too it just makes no sense to not avail yourself of a high-quality tactical EDC pen.